Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
7 Reasons to read this 2016 Rebecca Caudill nominee:
1) To meet Willow Chance, a 12-year-old genius who happens to be obsessed with nature and diagnosing medical conditions. She relaxes by counting by 7's. You need to join her on a journey you will never forget and see how she affects the lives of seven people.
2) To meet Willow's parents, who adopted Willow as a baby and love her for all her oddities.
3) To meet Dell Duke, the councilor who is assigned to Willow when the school principal thinks she cheated on a state test because she got a perfect score (she's a genius, not a cheater!).
4) To meet Pattie, Mai, and Quang-ha Nguyen, a Vietnamese family who befriend Willow during a time in her life where she needs tremendous support.
5) To meet Jairo Hernandez, the cab driver who swears Willow is his good luck charm.
6) To find out what tragedy suddenly changes Willow's world forever.
7) To find out that when you care about other people, it takes the spotlight off your drama. Believe in family and believe in miracles.
Beautiful book. Totally recommend a box of tissues to have on standby (but you will laugh too!). If you loved Wonder and Out of My Mind, you need to read this story!